January 30, 2013

For the first time, ever...

Warning- I'm going to admit to something...and then I intend to play the "you can't judge me" card.

Are you ready?

Okay, here it is...

Rachel played in the snow today...for the first time EVER.
She's three. We live in Iowa. How could this have happened?

The lawyer-that-I-should-be now presents my case...
Yes, we live in Iowa. Yes, it snows here. Yes, children play in the snow. Yes, it is good for children to get outside and get fresh air, even in the winter.

But,

Before you reach for the "horrible mother who lets her children watch too much TV when they should be outside" sign let me just clear my name. Rachel was born in January. So, naturally, being the good mother that I am, I didn't allow her to make snow angels or hurl snowballs during her first winter of existence.

Next, came her second winter. The winter of 2011-12 wasn't exactly what one might call, um, snowy. If I remember correctly it only really snowed once or twice and both times the snow was accompanied by negative wind chills and blizzard-like conditions so that pretty much ruled out skiing lessons (Who am I kidding? Just about anything would rule out me giving anyone a skiing lesson, but moving on...).

So, here we are with the winter of 2012-13 and it finally snowed today for only the second time this season. Granted, it is pretty stinking cold and the winds have really picked up but I figured now would be as good a time as any to bundle up my little girl and send her out into the white world of a Midwest winter.

And, she loved it.

Jake went outside with Rachel while I stayed in the house with Ryan. And as I watched the two of them chase a squirrel up a snow-covered tree I felt my heart jump.

How is it that I have been blessed with so much? Two beautiful children; a loving husband who not only found his passion but also his desire to see that passion become reality; a warm home nestled on a beautiful spot in the country; family, friends, and so many loved ones....

Now that Jake's graduation date is in sight I can hear my shopping list growing longer as I anticipate the financial stability that comes with a second paycheck- a "new" car, a new laptop, perhaps some new clothes... and the list goes on.

But, really, that isn't what life is about. It is about holding your baby boy in the comfort of your warm kitchen while you watch your husband and daughter make snow angels for the first time...ever.

Rachel and her daddy in the snow.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen... this little guy was having fun bouncing.


No comments:

Post a Comment