December 3, 2013

Control...

You know what is really hard to do? I mean, really difficult?
Something that I struggle with more than my weight or my screwed up sense that I should be able to get "it all" done (i.e. perfection)?

Control.

Actually, more specifically...not being in control.

It is hard to watch others make mistakes or bad choices when I know think that if they would just listen to me or let me take over, things would be so much better.

And how many times do I want to take the reigns on someone's thought process or actions and steer them from what I perceive to be total destruction or, um, stupidity?

Angie, stop, breathe....a few notes to yourself...

1. What makes me the expert? How do I know that with me in control "it' would be perfect? What, I've never made a mistake? ha! I think we all know that isn't true.

2. No matter how hard I try, I will never be able to control someone's thoughts, feelings, actions or reactions.

3. No matter how hard I try, I will never be able to control someone's thoughts, feelings, actions or reactions. (this isn't a typo; it deserves to be on this list more than once).

4. And since we have established that I cannot control someone else I guess this leaves just one person who I can control...me.

5. Being in control of me includes controlling my anger, my tongue, the expectations that I set for myself (keep them realistic!) and the way I handle emotions.

6. Control is not synonymous with perfection.

7. Fish are friends, not food. Oops! How did that one get in there? Actually, if you put it back into context, I guess that pretty much sums up the very definition of a healthy dose of "a bit of education in the art of being in control."

8. Giving up control of someone or something will lighten my load and free up some of my time and energy. Well, that just sounds flat out refreshing.

9. Galatians 5:22-23  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

10. 2 Timothy 1:7  For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.



No comments:

Post a Comment