April 8, 2013

Lunch with Rachel...

Sometimes when people share stories about their kids I roll my eyes and wait patiently for it to be over. What seems funny to a mom or dad is sometimes just not funny to the rest of the world.

However...

At the risk of being "one of those parents" I'm going to share this story because, well, it really is funny.

Over the weekend I took Rachel to get her hair cut and told her that if she sat still and listened to their directions she could eat at McDonald's afterwards. She followed through on her end of the deal so I had to follow through with mine (I had even promised her that we could actually go inside the restaurant to eat instead of getting our food at the drive through, which was also a pretty big deal).

But, as we pulled into the parking lot I noticed that it was apparently the hip hop happenin' place to be and there was pretty much nowhere to park. So, I had to bend my promise a bit and told her that we would, instead, have to get our food and go back to her grandparents' house to eat. That was disappointing to her but she kept it together and agreed that it would be okay...this time.

As we pulled away from the restaurant Rachel asked if she could please have her bag of food to hold. I really didn't want to hold up the traffic behind me, and this is the conversation that followed:

Mommy: No, Rachel. I can't give you your food right now. I'm driving and have to pay attention to the road.
Rachel: Well, maybe you should stop driving.
Mommy: Rach, you don't want me to stop driving. If I do that you'll never get to grandma and grandpa's house to eat your chicken nuggets.
Rachel: *sigh* Mommy, you are giving me a headache. *SIGH*
Mommy: (trying really hard to hold in my laughter): Are you kidding me? I'm giving you a headache? (and then I lost it and started laughing so hard I was almost crying).
Rachel: *SIGH... SIGH* Mommy, it isn't funny. Stop laughing. You are really giving me a headache.

I swear, I have no idea where she heard that. I'm pretty sure that I have never said that before but maybe I have. I don't know. Either way...pretty funny stuff.

At least I thought it was funny.

1 comment: