July 30, 2010

Remember my name, you will be screaming it later…

When I was a child, and even into my teenage years, I dreamt of one day being famous. Famous for what? Singing? Writing? Winning a prestigious award? I can’t remember exactly what it was that I hoped to be famous for but I do remember lacking the motivation to excel at anything. I kind of figured that I was OK with just being average at about everything I did. So, that’s what I was, an average kid. And today, I’m an average adult.

Who are these people that wake up one day and say, “Hey, I really like X. I think I’ll revolve my whole life around it.” Crazy people that’s who. I am not crazy, I’m too lazy for that nonsense. However, once in a while I get ridiculously grandiose ideas and, in a moment of weakness, talk myself into trying one of them. Eventually common sense, and possibly a little bit of fear, compel me to weed out the ridiculous ideas from the socially acceptable ones and my life continues as it was before.

I often wonder though, what could I have done or still have the potential to do? Could I really have been a lawyer or a doctor or a writer or an accountant? If I applied myself could I be inspired to do scrapbooking or culinary arts or photography? Oh…I don’t know…that’s so much work though.

I’m not sure God knew what he was doing when he made me. He created someone who has the desire to excel at something big but who has an even bigger desire to just finish the dishes and fold one more load of laundry before I sit down for the evening….

No comments:

Post a Comment