January 31, 2011

I forgot...

I have weathered a lot of embarrassing moments in my life. I have tripped over things in public, mistaken complete strangers for friends, spouted off inappropriate comments, dealt with bad hair days and horrible wardrobe choices, displayed poor judgement, and the list goes on and on.... But, I'm not alone. We all have shameful moments that we wish could be erased. I have been dreading a certain embarrassing moment for many many months and the inevitable finally happened last night....I forgot about my child.

Some of you might be asking, are you kidding? You forgot about your kid? What's WRONG with you lady? Hey, like I've said before, no judging. And besides, it's not like I left her somewhere. In fact, it was just the opposite...I forgot NOT to take her with us to a party last night. It didn't even dawn on me that I had failed to find a sitter until we got there and no one else had their kids with them. A feeling of panic came over me when I realized that I hadn't followed through on my reminder to call someone to watch her, and I could still see the note sitting on my counter...unread, of course.

Talk about an embarrassing experience. We were "those" parents- you know, the ones whose kid is opening presents that don't belong to them, messing with stereo equipment and fireplace embers, and throwing a tired-induced fit in the middle of the living room. I'm just SURE that everyone was thinking...geez, why is she here in the first place? And, to top it off I also forgot to pack a bottle. I know, I'm a horrible mother. This is not news.

Either way, she was quite a trooper, despite the fact that her mommy is an idiot. Don't worry baby girl, mommy will get better. I promise. Although, I have to admit, I can't promise too much. After all, this is the same mother who forgot to buy bottles BEFORE we came home from the hospital. SIGH.....

6 comments:

  1. I've done all of those things. You aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all "those parents." Seriously, don't worry about it. It's not as bad as the time we all got in the minivan, buckled up our seat belts, turned on the care and started backing out of the driveway when Chuck asked, "Where's George?" I spun around as I asked, "You don't have him?! Oh, crap, he's inside!"

    At this point he was still in a car seat as a baby and perfectly content, but holy shit, that's the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! It's so much easier to laugh at myself when I can also laugh at others. :) You are true friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is nothing compared to me forgetting diaper and carry baby and pooop around for hours. I am right there with you. The most important thing is that we are all alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all "those moms" -- it's just a matter of if you're woman enough to admit it :)

    ReplyDelete