Or, perhaps even more controversial, should you ever ask a woman if she's pregnant?
According to my friends and I....no. Never.
Granted, our group might have been a bit biased given that the majority of us having this discussion were either pregnant or holding a newborn but still.... it's just not a good idea.
When I was in labor with Rachel (yes, in labor) a nurse in my doctor's office asked me if I was expecting. I responded with, "Expecting what?" I mean, how else would you answer such a stupid question?
But, for those of you who insist on being in the know.... here are a few questions you might ask yourself before you ask that lovely lady if she's pregnant or just fat?
1. Is she in line for chicken fingers and fries?
2. Does she waddle, walk slowly, or gasp for air while heading up a flight of stairs?
3. Is she wearing flip-flops with an otherwise dressy-dress?
4. Is she of child-bearing age?
5. Does she have swollen ankles, fat fingers, and a flush complexion?
6. Is she barfing, gagging, coughing, sneezing, and/or blowing her nose (perhaps even simultaneously)?
7. Can she bend over and touch her toes?
8. Does she carry Tums in her purse?
9. Is she holding a newborn?
And perhaps most importantly....
10. Is it really your business and if so, does she have a friend you can ask instead?