July 9, 2013

The definition of insane…

So, I'm about to go insane.
No, not the "axe murderer" insane; more like the "I'm about to give up" insane.
I'm about to throw in the towel and tell the universe that it has won.
I'm done.
I can't fight anymore.

Fight what? You might ask.
Potty Training...
and
Sleeping.

First, the potty training.
Rachel is a smart little gal and it never once occurred to me that we would have this much trouble getting her potty trained. It seems as though we have made little progress since last July (when we first began this journey) and she has regressed so much that for two days now we have thrown our hands in the air and made her wear pull-ups again. She claims to hate wearing the "diaper" but has done pretty much nothing beyond complaining about it and, of course, pooping in it.

We have tried everything we can think of and after 12 months of struggling with this whole process I am convinced that Rachel will be sporting a Dora in Kindergarten.

And then there is my other child.
The one who doesn't sleep. Ever.
He has his decent nights and once in a while Ryan even has a good night but for the most part he too has regressed back to where he was 9 months ago. For those who might not be familiar with that particular sleep routine it goes something like this... sleep for 30 minutes, wake up, cry for 20-40 minutes, and repeat until about 5:00 in the morning.

I have gotten a whopping 3 hours of sleep over the past two nights (combined). And the most frustrating part is that this "stage" isn't a stage at all. It is the norm in our house and has been since last August.

If ever there is a time that I question my ability to be a good parent, it is now.
I keep thinking about the future and what it must hold. Eventually we will look back on this time, right? But, we cannot look back if we don't move forward.

And we haven't moved forward all stinkin' year long.

Here it comes....
I can feel it...

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry that you're still dealing with this! If it's any consolation Lorelei hasn't made any progress on the potty training front either. :-( Prayers for sanity!!!

    ReplyDelete