February 4, 2011

My first weigh-in...

Today was the first weigh-in for The Fat Olympics. I haven’t lost one single pound. But, let’s stop being so hard on myself. After all, it’s only been 4 days.

The scales tell me that I’m failing but what does a stupid hunk of metal and plastic know? I went into this competition telling myself that I’m doing this to change my life. Just like everyone else I have tried almost every diet out there (except the cabbage soup one, yuck!) and look where that kind of behavior has gotten me….absolutely nowhere. This is about changing the way I look at food. It’s about planning my day for some quality “me” time so I can exercise, do things I enjoy, and not allow myself to get so stressed out. And, it’s ultimately about taking better care of my health so I can pass good habits onto my daughter. Losing weight and getting healthy is no longer just about me.

I’m going to admit my age here but does anyone else remember the movie, “What About Bob?” Remember…baby steps? Baby steps might not win The Fat Olympics but for my own sanity I’m starting with baby steps this time around (perhaps this decision is flawed but I have never been accused of being a good decision maker).

Baby stepping……
1. Cut down (drastically) on pop (some of you might also know this as soda, soda pop, or Coca-Cola)
2. Drink more water (and no, coffee cannot count as water at 3:00 in the afternoon)
3. Get up at the crack of dawn to exercise (waiting until I get home from work is just setting myself up for failure)
4. Take lunch breaks (too often I work through these)
5. Try to walk over my lunch break (unless it’s cold enough to freeze snot to my face and tears to my eye balls.).
6. Eat smarter meals- smaller portions, less fat, more veggies
7. No more snacking in the evening (which unfortunately includes my nightly bowl of ice cream).

Yesterday I took a health test at work and it told me that I’m fat. Duh, I already know that. But, I get paid $50 every time I take it (every 90 days) so you better believe that I’m more than happy to let them tell me what I already know for that kind of cash. Plus, it’s good to have a mirror held in front of my face every once in a while, even if it is just my employer trying to save on other costs by encouraging its employees to live healthier lives.

14 comments:

  1. OMGoodness, you had me laughing out loud! I have the same problems trying to MAKE time to exercise but feel so much better when I do. I am starting P90x (round 2) Monday if you would like to start with me... I will keep you accountable (I know that helps with me).

    Anyway, congratulations on not GAINING this week... that is a success in my books.

    Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...P90x is SOOOOOOOOOO hard. I'm really impressed that you're working on that (and I'm humbled that you think I could try it without killing myself). :)

    I'm not quite ready for that yet but I do OWN it (which is a good start) so once I feel ready to tackle it I'll let you know!

    Thanks for the support. How wonderful!

    And P.S. I felt the same way when I got off the scales...not gaining is a HUGE plus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! This is about getting healthy and if you lose weigh ttoo fast -that's not healthy. Sounds like you are doing the right things! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a safe and sane plan. Do you have a buddy or some kind of face to face support? Writing down every thing you put in your mouth will help too. Good Luck!!!

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're off to a great start!! keep it up!!

    oh, and about google analytics. just search "google analytics" go to the site and "register" your blog. once that is set up, browse around (obviously you won't have any stats yet) and if you have any questions down the road, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl... how is the weight this week? Down?

    Let us know... we are waiting to hear ;)

    Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are all great tips. And I love that you call it pop! Keep up the good work! Stopping by via SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great blog about motherhood and i would love to introduce that how you can be best mom, if you need these type of parenting guides then you need to click here

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are looking for a complete and satisfying experience, you should try Magicien Pour Mariage in Paris. This shop offers weddings to match all sorts of interests.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stars Magic an online booking platform to find the right illusionist for your event, whether it's a business seminar, Christmas tree, birthday, product launch, a wedding , a team building or a cocktail party. A tremendous time saver for relying on the expertise of a professional conjurer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Say no to junk food....
    If no, let me advise you at a certain point when a person is strong from outside or even within his abdomen system and cardiovascular system, then we can say he is stable; if his abdomen system is mild, and some other systems are not appropriate, then some disease is slowly increasing. Most people have a routine of eating junk food and street food full of unhealthy food.
    Mega Souk
    Online shopping

    ReplyDelete