August 12, 2010

How does your garden grow...

I can’t believe I finally did it. I actually got all of my baby food made, for now anyway. Each bag of applesauce, zucchini and yellow squash, bananas, pears, peaches, sweet potatoes, carrots and peas is carefully marked and thrown into the freezer. Yes, unfortunately it truly is just tossed in there. A mountain has begun forming and I feel bad for the poor sap (probably me) who will be unlucky enough to open the door. At least we have an extra freezer that I can move some of the bags to, if I ever get the time or motivation. Plus, that freezer is full of garden produce.

Mom made the mistake of telling me that some people let their gardens go after the first of August. My garden was out of control this summer and the first of August didn’t come fast enough for me. I took what I wanted and by late July declared the garden “done” except, of course, for the abundance of tomatoes and potatoes that remain. We may have to mow over weeds to get to the potatoes when it’s time to dig them but I don’t even care. I’m thankful for this summer’s bountiful harvest but I won’t lie, I’m not looking forward to this much work again next summer and the next summer and the next summer…. I have decided that the only remaining weeds I will tackle are the ones in my flower beds. Rule number one when working in flower beds- don’t even think about it when the needle on the weatherman’s humidity meter is pointing to oppressive. It’s been sitting there for quite awhile now.

So, it was a very productive season. I learned a lot about gardening and I know that this winter I will appreciate all of our hard work. But for now I say, “Good riddance!” to that garden of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment